Blogger Sitemap Submitted But Not Indexed: What I Checked
My sitemap was present, but most Hao Blog URLs still were not indexed. That was frustrating, but it also made the checklist clearer.
Short version: A submitted sitemap helps Google discover URLs. It does not force indexing. For Blogger, I check whether the sitemap is valid, the post is crawlable, the canonical is correct and the content deserves to be indexed.
This is a troubleshooting note from my own Blogger setup, not a perfect textbook guide. I care more about what I can verify on the live page than what a dashboard claims.
Jump to
- A sitemap is not an indexing button
- Blogger sitemap URLs I check
- Crawlability checks
- What I improve after technical checks pass
- My next step for Hao Blog
- Quick workflow
- Sources I checked
- FAQ
A sitemap is not an indexing button
Google uses sitemaps as a discovery signal. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.
- Google uses sitemaps as a discovery signal.
- A URL can appear in sitemap.xml and still stay unindexed.
- New or low authority blogs may need more time and better internal links.
Blogger sitemap URLs I check
https://haonotebook.blogspot.com/sitemap.xml This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.
- https://haonotebook.blogspot.com/sitemap.xml
- https://haonotebook.blogspot.com/atom.xml?redirect=false&start-index=1&max-results=1000
- sitemap-pages.xml only matters if the blog has static Blogger Pages.
Crawlability checks
The post URL should return 200. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.
- The post URL should return 200.
- robots.txt should not block the post path.
- The HTML should not contain noindex.
- The canonical should point to the preferred post URL.
What I improve after technical checks pass
Add a short answer near the top of the post. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.
- Add a short answer near the top of the post.
- Use headings that match real search queries.
- Add internal links from related posts.
- Write from real experience instead of publishing thin generic notes.
My next step for Hao Blog
I would focus on a few strong troubleshooting posts first, then request indexing manually for those pages. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.
- I would focus on a few strong troubleshooting posts first, then request indexing manually for those pages.
- I would not submit every low quality or test post. Google does not need to love every URL.
Quick workflow
When I debug Blogger sitemap submitted but not indexed, I try to keep the process boring and repeatable. Guessing wastes time. Checking the live URL first usually saves me from fixing the wrong thing.
My basic flow
1. Check the live URL
2. Check sitemap.xml
3. Check robots.txt and noindex
4. Check canonical/meta output
5. Improve internal links and content quality
6. Request indexing only after the page is stable
Internal links I would add
Sources I checked
I used official Google/Blogger documentation as the baseline, then compared it with what I could see from Hao Blog's live HTML and Search Console data.
- Google Search Central: Ask Google to recrawl your URLs
- Google Search Central: Sitemaps overview
- Google Search Central: Supported meta tags
- Google Search Central: Snippets and meta descriptions
- Blogger Help: Settings and search description
Frequently asked questions
Why is my Blogger sitemap submitted but not indexed?
Because sitemap submission only helps discovery. Google still decides whether and when to index each URL.
Should I resubmit the sitemap daily?
No. Weekly checking is enough for a small blog unless you fixed a major blocker.
Can internal links help?
Yes. Internal links help Google discover and understand important pages on the site.
Final note
My current approach is simple: fix technical blockers first, make the page useful, add internal links, then give Google time. If the page is crawlable and the content has a clear purpose, the next step is patience plus regular checking, not panic editing.
Comments