Google Ads Header Ready

Blogger Search Description Not Showing: API vs UI Meta Description Test


I tried to update Blogger search descriptions through the API and learned the annoying part: the API response can look successful while the public HTML does not change.

Short version: For Hao Blog, the Blogger dashboard Search Description field was the reliable path. The Blogger API customMetaData field appeared in docs but did not reliably update the public meta description in my tests.

This is a troubleshooting note from my own Blogger setup, not a perfect textbook guide. I care more about what I can verify on the live page than what a dashboard claims.

Jump to

Where the description should live

Google documents meta description as head metadata. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.

  • Google documents meta description as head metadata.
  • Blogger exposes this through the dashboard Search Description field when meta tags are enabled.
  • Putting a meta description inside the post body is a hack, not the clean fix.

What happened in my API test

The API request returned success. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.

  • The API request returned success.
  • The post updated timestamp changed.
  • The public HTML still kept the old or fallback description.
  • A follow up GET did not prove that the Search Description field changed.

The path that worked better

Open the Blogger post editor. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.

  • Open the Blogger post editor.
  • Use the Search Description field in the right sidebar.
  • Save or update the post.
  • Fetch the public HTML and check meta name="description" and og:description.

Theme problems that can hide descriptions

A custom theme can output a generic site description for every page. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.

  • A custom theme can output a generic site description for every page.
  • Duplicate description tags can confuse audits.
  • The Blogger head include should be preserved unless the theme is intentionally rebuilt.

My current rule for Hao Blog

Use API for title, body and labels. This is the part I would check before making bigger changes, because small Blogger settings can make a normal post look broken in Search Console.

  • Use API for title, body and labels.
  • Use Blogger UI for per post Search Description.
  • Use theme XML edits for site wide fallback logic.

Quick workflow

When I debug Blogger search description not showing, I try to keep the process boring and repeatable. Guessing wastes time. Checking the live URL first usually saves me from fixing the wrong thing.

My basic flow
1. Check the live URL
2. Check sitemap.xml
3. Check robots.txt and noindex
4. Check canonical/meta output
5. Improve internal links and content quality
6. Request indexing only after the page is stable

Sources I checked

I used official Google/Blogger documentation as the baseline, then compared it with what I could see from Hao Blog's live HTML and Search Console data.

Frequently asked questions

Does Google always show my meta description?

No. Google may use the meta description, but it can choose a different snippet from page content.

Can Blogger API update Search Description?

In my test, it was not reliable. I would not promise bulk meta description updates through API.

Should I paste meta tags into the post body?

I would avoid that as the main fix. Use the Blogger Search Description field or fix the theme head output.

Final note

My current approach is simple: fix technical blockers first, make the page useful, add internal links, then give Google time. If the page is crawlable and the content has a clear purpose, the next step is patience plus regular checking, not panic editing.

Harvard Chin Yihao

Harvard Chin Yihao

I explore tech, markets, and build in public. Documenting my journey, practical insights, and DIY projects. Join me as I learn and grow. View Linktree

Comments